Saturday, July 19, 2008

Our New Pets

Well, they're actually not that new. We bought them in the springtime with the hopes of getting eggs in the fall...can you guess what they are?!! Yep, chickens!
This was their first home in our home...yes as one neighbor said "Oh my goodness, you have livestock in your living room!" We started with 5 cute little chicks....
This is their first time outside in a little chicken wire pen. I couldn't tell who was more excited, the chicks or the girls!! And I have to tell you, those dresses I made from fabric that cost me 50 cents at a garage sale! So effectively these dresses cost a quarter a piece! Not really cause elastic and ribbon and thread... but still! And I love them!
This is what I call the awkward teen stage, no longer cute at all!! Not yellow and fluffy but not yet all white feathers...they looked awkward! You can see the beginnings of what turned out to be the rooster.
So I just have to brag on Kevin. He made a little home for our chicks on the side of our house. The only money we had to spend was to build the fence, which we wanted to do anyway. He used a shed that came from a neighbor for free, and old screen windows to make the doors that open and close. It may not sound or look like a big deal, but he worked so hard and my brain would have never come up with how to put that all together.. now I can think of ways to make it pretty!....but then so can he! He planted a floering vine on one side that will over grow the shed, it'll be real cute soon enough!

So we gave the Rooster which we had named Larry to some friends that actually live in the country as we assumed our suburban neighbors would not appreciate his morning wake up call. Kevin and Annelise were the saddest to see him go, and well the Hens of course! Then we lost one to some unknown assassin. We thought it might be our kitty Oliver who lives outside because he received a mysterious gaping wound to his chin about the same time. But I like to think he was attacking the assassin, defending the poor little chicky. Besides how can a cat that lazies on the porch as the chickens peck all around him turn into their enemy? Ah well, some mysteries will never be solved! So here they are now. Aren't they so pretty. Lucy, Lulu, and Lexi. Annelise picked the names so take no offence if you know a human counterpart that would rather not share a name with fowl!!
And here is a close up of our pretty little chickie! I know, we are weirdos! My friend Sarah says she wants to watch chicken run with us, she swears it'll be even more funny!

No comments: